Let’s not start things off on a negative note. I’ve been playing SC2 since release as much as possible. Balancing with my other endeavors, including WAR, Torchlight, and Plants vs Zombies (I’m an achievement whore, what can I say), has been… tricky. As such, I’ve only managed to hit a dozen or so missions from the campaign. That said, this really feels more like an expansion pack, than a new game.
The engine is new, and it looks great. The missions are innovative and compelling (for the most part). The actual core of the game…. hasn’t changed a bit. While some relish the fact that they can slip right into the game and pick up where they left off in SC1, I was looking for a bit more…variation? Sure, some of the math has changed, unit prices, all that has been balanced.
But really, is this 12 years worth of work? TWELVE years? Do you even know what’s happened in the past 12 years of gaming? Here’s a brief recap for you.
- Quake 3 Arena, Quake 4
- Doom 3
- Diablo 2
- Dark Age of Camelot (Plus eight expansions)
- Grand Theft Auto 3 and 4
- Final Fantasy 10, 11, 12 and 13
- Battlefield 1942 (+2 xpacks), 2142, Vietnam, Bad Company, Bad Company 2
- Neverwinter Nights (+2 xpack) and Neverwinter Nights 2 (+1 xpack)
- The Legend of Zelda (Wind Waker
- EVE Online
- Halo 2 and 3
- Half Life 2 (Episode One and Two, and Lost Coast) and Portal
- WORLD OF WARCRAFT (+2 xpacks)
- Guitar Hero 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Van Halen, Smash Hits, On Tour (Decades and Modern Hits), Metallica, Aerosmith, Rock the 80s
- Rock Band 1, 2 and Beatles
- Gears of War 1 and 2
- Bioshock 1 and 2
- THE NINTENDO WII
- Star Wars KOTR and FTU
- Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
- Gran Turismo 2, 3 and 4
- Call of Duty 1, 2, 3, World At War, Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, and United Offensive
- Mass Effect 1 and 2
So yeah, you missed a lot of games, Blizzard. Oh, how about consoles? Let’s hit the way-back machine.
- Xbox 360
- Playstation 2
- Playstation 3
- Nintendo Gamecube
That’s quite a few. We were still on Nintendo 64s and Playstations 1s. Microsoft was still pimping Windows 98 like a cheap whore and Tony Romo probably wasn’t even born yet. Damn kid. Speaking of kids, the average MMO player was -3 when Starcraft came out.
Why do I bring all this up? Am I bitter? Am I cranky? Maybe a little. I just figured after you know… 12 years, that the location of the Supply Depot icon would have moved a bit.